Sunday, May 1, 2011

Books.

91. Less than twenty pages into the book, I've learnt that he was (1) introverted to the point of being at school precisely on the hour and leaving as soon as classes were done, without talking to anyone in between, (2) married by the age of 13, then promptly turning into a jealous husband, (3) lying to his religiously vegetarian parents about eating meat for a year, and (4) smoking and stealing, when still in the early teens. Not something I had expected from the autobiography of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.

92. Heard on an episode of Coffe Break French podcasts. One teacher, and one supposedly post-highschool student. "So, Anna, see if you can tell the difference between the two following sentences. If it helps, try to count the number of words. Je viens de Glasgow, and, Je ne viens pas de Glasgow. Anna, can you tell me how many words are there in the first sentence?" "Four!"

This is going to be great. French and math, both just at my level.

93. "He's writing two books," my mother tells me. My 8-year-old nephew is? "In the first one, there are two characters. I forget what they are, but then there's a chemical spill, turning one of them into a monster. I say to him, no monster, grandma doesn't like monsters. What about Buddhists, fairy angels and good kids who help their mothers? Then he says, OK grandma, I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, if you prefer, I can write a second book. It'll be about the most intelligent person in the world. I say, good, grandma prefers that."

If my mother were J.K.Rowling's grandma, there might have never been a Lord Voldemort.

No comments:

Post a Comment